Cat thinks my raised bed is its litter box

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Cat thinks my raised bed is its litter box

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Joshua 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Joshua
    Participant

So after building my raised beds I was so happy with them and got them filled just in time to walk out and notice something had pooped into the bed. I have tried putting chili powder and other spices to keep them away, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions, other than shooting it, to get rid of the cat?

Joshua
    Participant

Added note, it is not my cat, and my entire yard is fenced in.

UdoS
    Participant

Hello Joshua,

I have the same problem, but with our own cats. And I guess we are not the only ones. What really works for me is to keep the soil wet, which the cats don’t like, so they go somewhere else.
    Good luck
    Udo

charles

Also, you can lay bird netting over soil/crops to keep them off

Hawfinch
    Participant

I put rose prunings and other thorny bits and bobs on my beds to keep off the neighbours’ cats.

ElizaD
    Participant

I put chicken wire and sometimes rose prunings too on bare beds as any left without around here are just asking for cats to investigate.

Eliza

Leif
    Participant

I always put up netting over freshly composted beds for several reasons. Firstly I don’t want local kitties doing their business. Secondly blackbirds love snuffling in compost, and will dig holes galore, and throw it everywhere.
    Curiously for a month or two I have had no problems with kitties fowling the lawn and I suspect the fact that the compost was very smelly frightened them away. Perhaps they dislike a strong manure like smell. I might try collecting fresh local horse poop, and leaving piles around the garden.

Marcus Offer
    Participant

Yes, it’s a major problem – I would put fouling by cats alongside attacks by slugs and pigeons for aggravation! The only thing that works for me is to put down physical barriers of one kind or another to stop them. I cover most of my beds – especially those with any friable mulch or soil on – with the sticks I will use later for peas, and later in the year I use the cut stems of the autumn raspberries during the winter – they’re more bristly than the summer ones, and the cuttings from my cornus shrubs at this time of year or from the hedge when I cut that later in the summer. Otherwise, short sticks stuck in the ground to form a “hedgehog” do the trick on small areas but you have to set them too close for a cat to comfortably sit down (no more than 2-3 inches apart) or they’ll get in there! Freshly disturbed soil or fresh laid mulch or compost seems to be the most attractive to them. Once it’s settled and been planted they tend not to be so keen but you can’t guarantee it ever! I agree with other contributors that wet soil is less favoured but you can’t always water everything all the time even if you wanted to. When you net crops against butterflies or other pests or against bird damage, you obviously cover the ground anyway so you do get some respite. But I’ve had them crap on my dug potatoes as they lay drying off, and on a low thyme bush in mid winter when there was snow elsewhere! If only cat owners would train them to use a litter tray indoors (as my son’s cat does). It really does make life difficult and adds to the labour of getting seeds/plants into the ground and harvesting them in an edible condition, plus it’s such fun to find when you’re happily weeding on your hands and knees!! I have lightish sandy soil so I guess I’m more vulnerable than someone with clay?

I have found electronic devices expensive and not very effective – as plants grow they block the signal anyway and it’s only really when you’ve got little else to get in the way that you can cover the area with a workable signal….

Joshua
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, are there any types of plants that are good to keep them out? I know since it has nothing in it that they are more likely to go into them, but would onions or garlic help with it once the bed is planted? The other problem is them urinating on things, like the lettuce or spinach. Guess I really need to make sure I wash everything after picking them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags