Catch crop in new asparagus bed?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Catch crop in new asparagus bed?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  al 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

beth anne
    Participant

I recently planted a 5×25 ft bed of asparagus that were started from seed this January. The starts are in two rows, spaced 2 ft apart in every direction in their new, no-dig bed. There is so much rich bed space going unused, I am tempted to plant a catch crop between them, just while they’re getting established. However, my understanding is that asparagus is very sensitive to other plants nearby, making me hesitate to put anything with them, even for one season. I would appreciate any advice on what might be suitable to put in such a space (I am in USDA zone 8b), or if I should just leave it alone. Thank you!

charles

Beth I had the same thought and grew lettuce, beetroot and spinach between my youg asparagus in years one and two.
    Not too crowded though.

beth anne
    Participant

I appreciate your response, Charles, and will give it a go! Thank you.

al
    Participant

I sowed yellow mustard last autumn as a green manure between mine and they seem happy enough I have a mixture of crowns and see grown now in their second summer. Need to put up some support so that’s a winter job coming up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags