Cauliflower – Spreading Out Harvests.

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Cauliflower – Spreading Out Harvests.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles. I have ten Aalsmeer spring cauli plants that have survived winter well and I hope will produce a reasonable harvest.

Cauliflower often head up very close to each other and you can end up eating a lot, which is kind of good and bad! A veg growing mate mentioned a technique of cutting stems on maybe half of the plants by varying depths when they approach harvest time, the theory being that it checks their growth and staggers the harvests. Have you ever tried this or do you have any other suggestions for spreading cauli harvests? We love them so they will be a regular on our plot each year.

Many thanks, hope you make it to York next January.

charles

What an interesting idea, I should try it, have never done it here.
    I do not have any other methods, it could be useful for summer calabrese too, shall try it in June if I have time.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks. Will be interesting to hear your view on this method if you should get the time. I’ll be trying it on a couple of plants here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags