celeriac

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

When can you start pulling celeriac?

Ros

I’ve had one of mine sliced in salads. It was lovely – first time I have been successful in growing celariac.

charles

I love celeriac in salad, and harvest them anytime from now.

zuf
    Participant

What are your day/night temperatures after pricking out celeriac? Thank you.

charles

Often quite cool at night, say down to 5C in the greenhouse and less occasionally, but it never freezes. By day its anywhere between 10 or 12 in cloudy conditions, to 25C in sun.
    I sowed them yesterday.

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles and anyone….

These celeriac plants were bought and planted back in March and they are starting to turn green… Am I past the harvesting stage? A couple started to bolt a few weeks back and I cut off their soon to be flowering stem.

I suspect Charles, you will say that they were planted out too early. I should have harvested them while they haven’t turned this green yet.

Luckily, those I have self sown are still growing and their bulging roots forming and still greyish. Are they still be edible? This is my first time growing them.

charles

Yes planted too early, they are best sown in March, to plant in May.
    Planting March means they are subjected to cold nights so they think they have been through winter and that this summer is their flowering time.
    Best eat the bolters before they go woody, and hope that some do not, for an autumn harvest.

Karen
    Participant

Thanks Charles…. have learnt my lesson.

I definitely won´t be purchasing any more plug plants now as it is also very common that some vegetable plants are sold at the wrong time and season for some of us inexperienced customers out there.

lizzy
    Participant

Hi please can anyone advise me if I should bother.
    I sowed celeriac seed late spring early summer and the seedlings have been neglected until now. I have pricked them out into trays and have some room on the lottie now I have lifted the spuds.
    Is it worth planting them out at this time of the year or should I cut my losses and start over next year?

charles

Hi Lizzy
    I would indeed cut your losses, they will not make a crop if planted now.
    You need to get all the dates right for good celeriac.
    Best of luck for 2017.

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles,

I have lost a couple of celeriac plants over the past few months, they just suddenly turned to mush.

I am guessing it might be due to heat related (similar to that of lettuces?)…. the temperature yesterday was in the high 20s… I was watering all the salads and celeriac. The temperature has significantly dropped today… about 17 degrees. Was checking on the plants and found this celeriac turning to mush. The smell is quite bad too.

charles

This does happen occasionally, for whatever reason.
    The nub of the matter is I think you bought suspect plants, sown at the wrong time.
    Always next year to look forward to!

Karen
    Participant

Oddly enough, those that have been turning to mush are the ones that were sown in Mar and April and planted out in May.

The 8 plants I bought have only been turning green. I reckon too that they were meant to be harvested early.

charles

That is strange.
    Its not heat but I wonder if you have overwatered? Twice w weekly is good, if its not raining enough.

Karen
    Participant

I honestly can´t tell. It rained hard 1 day last week and I noticed one of them turned to mush. To be honest, I hardly water the celeriac plants much. Except when if I know it´s going to be crazy hot.

I can deal with the loss as I reckon I have easily 50 celeriac plants growing in several parts of the garden. Just is curious to know what causes this mush.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags