Celeriac germination.

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Celeriac germination.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Contrary to the poor Sturon germination late last month, my Prinz celeriac (OGC) have already come thru and formed tiny seedlings, following a sowing on 14th March; this is nearly two weeks sooner than last year.

It is a fresh pack of seed and I wondered – is this just a sign of very good/ fresh and viable seed? I was not expecting seeing anything for about three weeks; thought the pack might contain something else!!

charles

Hi Tris, how interesting, that is fast and I suspect fresh seed is the reason! Because i sowed some Prinz from last year’s OGC packet and it is not up yet, sown 13 March, which is just before full moon, like yours, favouring faster emergence.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I feel the moon helped them along a bit, though can’t be measured….

Should have mentioned they were on gentle heat too, but I still thought they’ve come up quick!

Woodland strawbs sown on the same day just coming up, both very, very tiny seeds. Hard to believe what they’ll hopefully grow into :-)

davidk
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow,
    We’d all love to know where you found these magic seeds…….
    I too am waiting for mine to appear.

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Seeds-Vegetables-Vegetables-C-Celery-and-Celeriac/c21_22_45_102/p2109/CELERIAC-Prinz/product_info.html

My local organic grower has celeriac & beetroot like footballs, he says he uses loads of muck & loads of water.

My wild strawbs are like triffids & seem to appear anywhere for no apparent reason, & may turn into a delicious weed.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi David. Magic seeds…..more like magic luck me thinks! The link you’ve posted is where I obtained mine, back in December. I guess that when I sow from the same packet next year, I’ll be back to the more normal three week wait.

Triffid seeds, now they would be magic….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags