Celeriac seed germination problem

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Celeriac seed germination problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles and other celeriac experts

I sowed my celeriac (Monarch) seed three weeks ago in my mini propagator which gives a temperature of about 20°C but, unlike the rest of the seeds, there is no sign of them. I followed the instructions on the packet and I think it was to sow 1/2″ deep. I have since read different sowing instructions on the blogs and the seed merchants’ websites. Some say do not cover the seeds at all as they must have light to germinate, Thompson & M state 1/8″ at 20-25°C, Suttons state 10-15°C, Mr Fothergill (for my second attempt) say 1/2″ at 15-20°C. I have also read that high temperatures inhibit germination.

They all mention that germination is slow at 14-21 days. I am aware that information, sometimes incorrect information, is copied from blog to blog but I would have assumed that the seed merchants have the correct information. It seems that either several of them are incorrect or Celeriac will germinate under a wide variety of conditions.

I have only my 20°C propagator and an unheated greenhouse. What would you suggest? If I get it wrong this time we will be into April which I gather is on the late side for sowing celeriac, and we shall have a winter devoid of one of my favourite veg.

I live in sunny Exmouth where Spring temperatures are higher and April and May frosts are much less frequent than at Homeacres.

Thank you very much indeed.

John

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi John, I remember waiting what seemed an age for mine to materialise last year, but when I was just about to give up they appeared 🙂 I’d surface sown mine too and on heat; yours have a 1/2″ of compost to push up through. Certainly can’t say for sure, but they may be on their way yet….

charles

That is interesting John that the seed companies give such different advice, and not reassuring!
    I sow mine on the surface (celery too) and am sowing soon, I find that mid March is good. Last year I kept the seed tray on a windowsill in the conservatory with glass over the top.
    I also have a feeling that yours may emerge.

John
    Participant

Hi Charles and Stringfellow

Thank you for the advice. The deep sowings have not shown at all but surface sowing has been successful, with germination after about 10 days. It’s exciting to see tiny green shoots with the seeds on top like mini lollipops!

John

Stringfellow
    Participant

Glad you had some success John and, yes, it is great seeing those tiny beginnings of meals to come 🙂 My celeriac are also through from a 17th March sowing and my first early spuds and parsnip seed went in the ground today. Things really getting going now with more sowings to come. Enjoy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags