Celery varieties

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Celery varieties

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RayFromFrance 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Eileen44
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I attended a day course at the end of September last year and you had some wonderful celery which I think was a variety you could cca
    I unfortunately didn’t make a note of it’s name. I haven’t grown celery before and wondered if it possible to harvest most celery varieties by picking individual sticks instead of cutting a whole head of celery? Could you give me some advice and variety suggestions?

charles

Hello Eileen,

It was Tall Green Utah and I had cut the main stalk, leaving sideshoots growing out of its base which made smaller mini-hearts after about four weeks. The second harvest was worthwhile, but quite sluggy it must be said. Picking individual stalks is worth trying, I have not done that.
    There is a variety called Leaf Celery but it is a little more stringy and strong-flavoured, good for soups and stews and it can overwinter in a polytunnel if frost is not too severe, sow in early September.

Dear Eileen. I also tried Tall Green Utah last summer. Very easy to grow and SO GOOD TO EAT !!! all sweet, even my grandchild asked for it every time he came to us. This year I am planting 30 Tall Green Utah, it is so good to eat :) Raymond

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags