Charlotte spud disease?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Charlotte spud disease?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hello all.

I have had an issue with the variety Charlotte potato (also growing Casablanca and Rudolph; both growing healthily without problem). Out of twelve plants two quickly withered and died off. This was early in their life having reached only about two inches in height. However, two now fully grown plants are withering too. Leaves turn yellow and then the lower stems seem to rot. A friend also has this issue, on a different site, and again only with Charlotte. Seed potatoes purchased from two different companies (OGC & Dobies), although maybe from the same wholesaler? Anyone else having similar problems?

I’m beginning to wonder if the issue is therefore with the original seed potato; any ideas?

charles

Hello Tris, it does sound like seed infected with virus, you could complain to the supplier but there is no remedy now.
    Aphids spread virus too so I hope it does not get into your other, healthy plants, but they may have done enough growing now.
    Ironically we are encouraged not to save our own potato seed for more than two crops, because of the risk of virus, but this year my third-year Charlotte is healthy, and I had one of ten bought Charlotte do as you describe, dying off early!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for the response Charles. It is rather frustrating to see them dying off, I hope to have seen the last one turn but I’ll keep a look out for any disease spread. Interesting re: your home saved potato seed and certainly worth considering for future years. I’m saving my own garlic, peas, broad beans etc. so it will be nice to add some spuds to the growing list, from healthy plants of course!

It is also great to finally be getting some real warm weather at last. Let’s enjoy it!

bluebell
    Participant

I have just checked on mine and the Charlotte are looking rather sorry for themselves. I would say that they look as if they have got too hot and dry. Not seen it before.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Bluebell, seems I’m not alone on this. Perhaps a bad year for that variety.

On a brighter note, enjoying some lovely harvests of Casablanca; wonderful flavour and silky texture.

devonstew
    Participant

Just to offer balance – my Charlottes (from Tuckers) all healthy and producing lots of tubers….

Sorry to hear though, Charlotte are yummy, and to lose out on those would be really disappointing!

bluebell
    Participant

Glad to hear it Devonstew. I have noticed that one of my 2 rooster potatoes that started sprouting in the fridge and were subsequently planted has gone the same way. They are on a different part of the plot in a 1m sq bag so I would say it is definitely not soil borne, however I cant shake the feeling that it is lack of water as it has been really rather dry with us this spring. Unfortunately Im not as methodical as Charles in monitoring these things.

Rhys
    Participant

I would do anything for 5 degrees cooler in the day and 2 inches of rain. It’s been warm and dry for 5 weeks and the beans have barel grown above 18 inches. Tap watering does not replicate rain!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags