chilli trimming

Community Community General Gardening Fruit chilli trimming

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

My chilli plants have got rather lanky over summer and having read that you can keep them going on the window sill over winter to produce again next year, I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how much you cut them back? I think I will need to halve their size at least but perhaps it is best to be fairly harsh?

bluebell
    Participant

I am surprised to report that having cut back my chillies by about 2/3rds in September I now have another crop of chillies ripening well and they are still covered in flowers.

So far so good!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Good work Bluebell, sounds promising!

I wondered what variety your chilli plants are? Also, when you cut them back did you remove the central stem by 2/3rds or was it removal/ shortening of side shoots etc.?

I’m quite taken with the idea of growing ‘Alberto’s Locoto’ from Real Seeds this next spring; it can be grown as a perennial fruiting for several years. Could be an attractive looking plant too :-)

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow
    the variety is apache.
    I cut back to the main stem. They were a bit leggy as they had been on a windowsill.
    Next year I am growing Nigels outdoor from real seed – largly because my husband is Nigel…

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Bluebell, good luck this next year with Nigel’s chilli variety!

I’ll be interested to hear how it grows and produces for you.

bluebell
    Participant

Trimmed chilli’s that over wintered carried on fruiting and produced a fair crop of small but strong fruit over winter, which even ripened! I gave them another hair cut as they were getting too big last week and they are already producing another crop of larger fruit. It would appear that they quite like being cut back…

As you may see from my other post the Nigel’s outdoor chilli has not had a great rate of germination to date, but I do have some seedlings and since it is supposed to produce chilli outdoors even in parts of Wales I am hopeful of a bumper crop…

bluebell
    Participant

of the two over wintered plants I needed to move one to another window sill. Picked the smallest but have been very surprised to find that it has provided a much better first flush both bigger and more plentiful just for being moved to a batheroom. Didnt think that humidity would have that big an impact.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Bluebell, thanks for this; interesting.

Is it only the humidity that you think will have changed? Or is there possibly more sunlight coming thru your bathroom window, or any other possible factor that has maybe influenced positive growth?

Either way, I can’t put my chilli plants in our bathroom over next winter – it has no windows!!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Bluebell, thanks for this; interesting. Do you think it’s only the humidity that has affected growth? Or is there possibly more sunshine coming thru your bathroom window or anything else that may positively influence growth?

Either way, over-wintering my chilli plants in our bathroom won’t work too well – it has no windows!!

bluebell
    Participant

Both windows have the same aspect, so should have similar light levels. If anything the bathroom is slightly less as it has patterned glass.

Maybe a kitchen windowsill would work as well?

bluebell
    Participant

I have just watched a BBC programme on photosynthisys and there may be one other variable that I had not taken account of. Carbon Dioxide. The bathroom is an ensuite and so there are higher levels of carbon dioxide when we are asleep. According to this programme that can double the yeald of tomatoes so I assume similar for chilli?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Bluebell, I missed that programme but it sounds to be useful to us gardeners.

I’ll probably try a bedroom window sill for my chillis and forgo the humidity aspect somewhat.

Good luck with yours!

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow

Above programme still available on I player :)

bluebell
    Participant

Have just picked another 20 chillies with a view to giving them a trim up and repotting. Will leave one plant on the windowsill the other will go in to the grow house and outside in due course to make room for one of this years plants.

They are starting to look a bit tired and yellow. But not bad considering they have not been fed since repotting in cow manure last summer.

Intend to see how long one will keep producing at a reasonable rate.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Bluebell, glad you are still getting harvests from these plants. These will be tasty in curries etc.!

Alberto’s Locoto growing well here and will be planted tomorrow morning, under cover in the soil; will be satisfying if it produces well over the next few months….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags