Chinese Cabbage

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Chinese Cabbage

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles ,

Well I planted out my chinese cabbage in august and covered in fleece. I then left it, with an occasional exasparated peek underneath, as it was completely obliterated by slugs. Oh well I thought, all good fun! :)

But then the plants started growing strongly and I had a peek recently and hang on , there may be a heart in there.

In fact I just harvested a heart of 1kg! and others approaching that…. Success! beginners luck perhaps….

So the question is they seem ready now, but I am off on holiday for 1 week. Shall I leave them or harvest now to go in the fridge or leave till I return?

many thanks

Dan

charles

This is good news Dan, they are extraordinary plants, fragile to slugs yet rampant in growth once they are underway, in autumn. I harvested one this morning to add to the mix and fulfil my orders, it was more stem than leaf and as they mature this improves a bit, I plan a November harvest, before any moderate frost.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags