Chitting potatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Chitting potatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

beverley
    Participant

HI,

I have just received my seed potatoes from JBA. On perusing their website, I noticed that they give quite unusual tips for chitting potatoes to get the best growth (http://jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/info/help-and-advice/chitting-potatoes/). This involves cutting out the eyes at the rose end (quite deeply) to concentrate growth in a few remaining sprouts in the shoulder and side eyes.

As I struggle to grow large potatoes, I was considering trying this out. Has anyone done this?

Also, JBA recommend spraying the chitting tubers with Nutrimate. Has anyone tried this?

Many thanks

peat
    Participant

Hi Beverly Potatoes do not need chitting. There is an advantage to chitting first earlies as it helps them to harvest slightly quicker. But there is no advantage in chitting others. The only advantage that can be gained is to plant late varieties before earlies. It gives a better chance to be in front if blight strikes.

Rhys
    Participant

Beverley

I’ve successfully grown very large Desirees the last two years in the ground. I usually wait till near the end of April to plant and when i do, I put as many comfrey leaves in the trench as I have available, along with some BFB. I also feed with comfrey tea and/or tomorite once the plants have reached full size and have flowered. I usually harvest Desirees after 20 weeks growth, plant and feed using Maria Thun biodynamic calendar.

The crop is usually a mixture of small, medium and large but I’ve not done any studies on how to preferentially generate the large ones. What I will say is that, usually, the number of stems per seed tuber usually correlates with the yield you harvest from that individual plant. The more stems the better……

Eliot Coleman says that you get the best yields of potatoes sowing them in rotation directly after sweetcorn, but I’ve never tried that as the garden isn’t big enough to have that amount of corn!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags