Clay plot – Path help

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Clay plot – Path help

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Em 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Em
    Participant

Hi, I’m starting with my first allotment, It’s clay soil, which is currently rock hard with deep cracks but is in an area prone to flooding during wetter months, the other allotment owners have commented on how hard it is to access the area in wet weather.

I was wondering what advice people can offer in relation to path options? I’ve added raised beds filled with mushroom compost and want to add paths in between the beds and was thinking of going with bark as it looks nice, tidy and I think it will add some stability to the ground when/ if it does flood? or it might just turn to a boggy mess! Does anyone have experience in similar circumstances?

Sandra
    Participant

I have found that bark peelings have worked great for me this year. I don’t have clay soil here but it does still get slippy in wet weather. I think that a coarser material like bark chippings could do very well for you, though it wouldn’t last long in the event of flooding I wouldn’t think.

We once bought hardcore from a builders merchants for a path. It consists of what I can only assume is some type of stone, every size from coarse sand size, to an inch or slightly more, in a pale grey colour. When you put it down all of the stone pieces combine and mesh together, between your raised beds I would think that hardcore would work if it is well pressed together. But it is heavy to move around and not cheap, plus you would need to have access for a lorry presumably, to deliver it.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Consider the whole plot. You have raised beds. The paths are lower and probably (puddled by walking) poorly draining. Do you have any fall upon the site, ie is one end/side lower to allow the water to escape?
    Wood-chip material is considerably cheaper than bark. Often free from a local tree surgeon , who, for a couple of ‘pints’, will probably tip you a load as required.It is easy to lay, to keep weed free, and eventually will compost(3 seasons?) to a rich brown mulch.It will also float: so needs keeping in place by consolidation. If you can allow for a drain from the lower area, it will remain relatively tractable all season. It will hold large populations of worms, it can also have leaf material added, which may take 2 years to rot away. After 2 years it may be sieved as a compost material, retaining the finer parts. If the paths have grass cover, or no noxious weeds, lay card before applying. I try to lay 4″ layer on card.
    Be prepared for a considerable display of fungi; possibly edible but seek competant advice.

Hazelky
    Participant

We are on clay soil too. My neighbour, who digs her patch, dug a small trench around her patch for drainage. It seemed to work for her when we had those weeks of wet weather.

My paths were made with cardboard first, then covered with wood chippings. They felt a Little spongy in the wet weather but were fine to walk on all through the wet months when the rest of the grass paths on the site had standing water for weeks.

Got my wood chip free from a local advert and free cardboard from local shops.

In this dry season, my beds are well mulched with compost and the clay underneath is still moist, though I am only watering vulnerable plants.

Em
    Participant

Thanks everyone, really helpful.
    The previous owner had started to put in some small drainage trenches, interestingly all the other owners have commented to say they don’t know what he was thinking, but it seems sensible to me!

It’s fairly flat with no grass, just sparse weeds at the moment so I’d be looking to cover quite a large area and like the sound of the free woodchip, I’ve asked the parish council who run the allotment to ask the council about free drops from landscaping as this seems to be done at other allotments within the wider area. I’m definitely liking your thoughts cleansweep, very multifunctional. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags