Cleaning the inside of a polytunnel

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Cleaning the inside of a polytunnel

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Blakey
    Participant

Hello Charles and other polytunnnel owners.
    We built a homemade polytunnel in the spring, and it has functioned really well throughout the season. If anyone has any advice on the best/safest way to clean the insides without doing damage to either the the plastic or soil, we’d like to know. We have just thought about using a sponge and soapy water, but is that enough? As of yet, there isn’t any visible algae growth on the plastic.

Ron
    Participant

Hi.
    I’ve been cleaning a poly tunnel today that I’ve been asked to make use of at our allotment. It’s large, 20 x 13ft and though quite old and been neglected for a while but the plastic seems really strong. Just used cold soapy water with a soft hand brush and a long handled soft brush for the higher parts. A light swill off afterwards seemed to freshen it up a treat. Good luck with yours.

charles

Yes Ron I agree, keep it simple.
    In fact I have never used anything but water, no need for soap from what I have noticed.
    It’s easiest in damp weather, either with condensation on the inside or rain on the outside. Tie two old sheets together, then with a person at either end, on each side of a tunnel in rain, pull against each other to clean the green which builds on the outside.

Blakey
    Participant

Thanks Charles and Ron
    Much appreciated

Ron
    Participant

Good idea with the sheets, Charles. Our tunnel is a bit too high to reach the top properly, even with a long brush. And yes a rainy day is best as otherwise the plastic sheet dries to quickly. Thanks again.

Cleansweep
    Participant

For the top, you need an accomplice and a length of stockinette roll(Mutton cloth) from a janitorial supply depot. Cut off enough to give you sufficient length to reach across from side to side and simply pull back and forth as if sawing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags