Clearing a 5 pole plot

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Clearing a 5 pole plot

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

EmmaO
    Participant

So, i recently took on an allotment and i would like to use the no dig method. Clearing it is going to be a big job it’s 5m wide by 25m long and it’s pretty well covered in plant life.

I’m accepting that i will not be growing this year, although i have 3 fruit trees that i can harvest as a free bonus. I want to get a covering of manure and compost on the plot covered with heavy duty weed mat by the end of September which would give it 6 months to March to kill off all the weeds, while i build the shed, plan the beds and prune etc.

I’m struggling to figure out how much i need to cover the plot. Our local shetland pony trust does chemical free well rotted horse manure and the allotment society does a bulk compost order so i can manure the plot and put compost on top when it’s delivered. Anyone have any experience with the quantities?

Jamie Craik
    Participant

Emma,

I used a calculator that was available on CPA Horticultures Website which works out your required amount

https://www.cpa-horticulture.co.uk/compost/farmyard-manure

Hope this helps

Regards

Jamie C

charles

Sounds a good plan Emma.
    And Jamie how clever to find that calculator, thanks.
    I notice it gives a figure in cubic metres. For most animal manures which are quite dense, 1m3 is about 0.75 tonnes, while for fluffy materials like mushroom compost, 1m3 is 0.5T in weight.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags