Clearing field beans grown as green manure

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Clearing field beans grown as green manure

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  andrewparkeruk 5 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

andrewparkeruk
    Participant

My apologies if this topic has been covered already: I have tried a forum search with no success.

I have a couple of beds in which I have grown field beans over the winter. My plan was to compost the crop rather than try to let them rot down in the soil. The field beans were sown at roughly 150mm distances in rows 150mm apart.

Now that I wish to plant “real” crops in these beds, I am trying to decide whether to: a) cut the stems at ground level and compost the top growth; b) lift the entire plants and compost.

The field beans have grown really well, the root systems of some plants occupy maybe one litre of soil (that is if I left the plant, it brings with it one litre of soil). Lifting will disturb the soil structure. If I cut I suspect the healthy field bean roots will produce new top growth.

I think I need to lift and knock off all of the soil, and live with the disturbed soil structure. Any thoughts please?

Thank you, Andrew

John
    Participant

Hi Andrew

A few days ago I scythed down the tops of my field beans and added them to the compost heap, leaving the roots and soil undisturbed. I am in no great rush to plant (usually, but not necessarily, brassicas from modules sown later) so I cover with weed fabric for a month or so to kill off any remaining greenery.

John

andrewparkeruk
    Participant

Thank you John, I hadn’t considered that, and do have a roll of Mypex-alike.
    Have you done this successfully in previous years?
    Andrew

John
    Participant

I have been overwintering field beans for 4 years and the method has worked well for me. I am fortunate in having lots of space.
    Link to 2015-16 green manure blog article

andrewparkeruk
    Participant

Great stuff.
    Thank you, Andrew

andrewparkeruk
    Participant

I’ve done as you suggested this morning John. Thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags