Climbing Bean plants being dug up

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Climbing Bean plants being dug up

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MJSJ 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hello Charles

Having a really hard time with climbing beans this year. Despite burying much of the stem, something (pigeons or squirrels) has dug up most of the plants forcing me to try again – I’m on my third attempt. I’ve tried the following with mixed success:
    – Leaving fleece on for as long as possible giving the plant a chance to grow and develop a good root system
    – Planting in a pot with the bottom cut out and sides pierced

Any ideas on what’s doing the damage and what I could try to do to prevent the damage more robustly?

Many thanks in advance

Asif

charles

Asif this is maddening for you and I don’t know what you can do except run chicken wire around, a lot of work.

MJSJ
    Participant

Hi Asif I wonder if it is mice ore voles ? In the spring I had the same with my broard beans the whole plant pulled out & the bean seed chewed the rest left very frustrating after getting them to that stage & all healthy . I found finely ground pepper heled & I think chillie powder can work too but it’s a bit of a performance every night ..mouse traps are the only other way I think .good luck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags