Climbing Beans.

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Climbing Beans.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Daucus 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles, I noticed in your June update that you have covered your young climbing bean plants with fleece, but without any climbing frames in position; I guess climbing frames would make it very difficult to lay fleece initially. Do you place the climbing frames a certain distance from the plants so as to minimise damage to any roots, when that time comes?

I’m interested because I put my frames up a while ago (to try and get ahead a little!) and, since planting, pigeons (I think) have eaten some top leaves off! So laying fleece will help them establish and keep some pests out aswell…

charles

Yes I wanted to keep wind off the tender plants – but actually suffered more slug damage as a result of the fleece! However it would work for pigeons and then after removing it, when plants are starting to run, which is often when I put the canes in, I never notice any setback to plants. Bean canes are not fat and cause little root damage when put in, so you can do it at any time really, before plants are too leggy.

Good luck with pigeons… or could it be deer? they like bean tops.

Stringfellow
    Participant

One to remember for next year…

It could be deer as there have been sitings. Either way, I’ve tried to protect them best as I can this year.

Would suspending the fleece on cloche hoops in anyway reduce slug numbers? I wonder if they are happier having as much moisture around their bodies as possible, as they slither along!!? Still, some slug damage is better than losing whole plants!

Thanks again.

Daucus

It could also be rabbits eating the beans – there is a tiny baby rabbit getting into my polytunnel and it’s had every single bean plant (plus more besides). Unless the fleece is secured around the edges a rabbit might easily get under and continue the feast. Hope for your sake it’s pigeons…!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags