Cloche Hoops

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jack
    Participant

Hello Charles,

I was wondering if you could tell me the best place to buy netting and metal cloche hoops from. Have been into the garden center but all of the hoops seem too narrow for my no-dig raised beds. I have seen the ones that you use in your garden and they look ideal – could you tell me where to find them?
    Much appreciated!

charles

Hello Jack, most garden suppliers sell the black polypropylene, 4m wide netting I recommend, but wide cloche hoops is more problematic.
    For polytunnel size hoops over raised beds, check out Robinsons.
    Then there are manufacturers of thick-wire, wide hoops, I bought some in Cornwall last spring and sorry, cannot recall the supplier’s name.

Jayjay
    Participant

Hi Jack, A llot of allotment folk around here use blue water pipe or round electric conduit which you can get from builders merchants. They can be lengthened by putting about 450 mm or so of cane in the ends which goes in the ground. For netting, we use debris netting, (also called scaffold netting), which you can get online from Tarpaflex. The only thing with that is that it does have gaps in places due to the pattern. Jeanette.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Jack. I have manufactured the wire ones but it did take a commitment; sourcing 5mm wire wasn’t easy and then rigging a simple wooden jig to bend the shape reasonably consistently. Great once done but it does take some time. Perhaps the blue water pipe method is easier. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Jack
    Participant

Thank you Stringfellow. Have purchased some 4mm wire as suggested by Charles in one of his blog posts and will have to make a semi-circular jig to bend the wire around. What length did you cut the wire to beforehand?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Jack. Apologies, I think it was 4mm wire as recommended by Charles, not 5mm. I experimented a bit and found that increasing the legs (the bit you push into the ground) made the hoops more stable. So, including the loops for attaching a retaining cord and two 12″ legs, the length is 106″. One other thing; I found it quite tiring on my hands bending the wire into shapes, so made them batches of 4 -5 at a time! Hope this helps.

Jack
    Participant

Again, thank you for your help Stringfellow. Looking back at my order, the wire I had ordered was a lot thinner than 4mm so wondered if you could tell me your supplier? Also, what do you mean by the loop for the retaining cord?
    Thanks again!

Stringfellow
    Participant

No worries. I bought it through Yates & Son in Malton. It was something like a 50m roll though, which I shared. Any thinner than 4mm and they’ll bend in the wind; 4mm works great. The loops sit at ground level and are about 60mm diameter allowing a long cord to be looped underneath them and zigzagged to hold down whatever cover you are using. I’ve ended up using stones/ rocks instead as the covers are then easier to remove for weeding and plant viewing etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags