Cloche Idea.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi,

I am in the process of making some cloches to protect my winter salads planted on my 4′ wide beds down the allotment.

I wondered if, having no ‘proper’ polytunnel yet, these cloches could double up for summer use? Such as growing summer fruits like chillis, sweet peppers, bush tomatoes and maybe even aubergine?

I did wonder whether strong sunshine might frazzle them – perhaps a different type of polythene for summer use could help? In addition to this, can anyone think of any other potential problems of using them in this manner, during summer months?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

charles

You could do this but there are disadvantages: ventilation and watering. For ventilation, unless you are there every day, you need to leave some openings for air and hope it is not too windy. For moisture, it ijust takes extra time, after raising and then lowering the sides.
    Also the summer crops you mention will easily fill all the space and may push up the top or out of the sides.

However these are the downsides and you may succeed with lovely summer fruits so I don’t want to discourage you!

Stringfellow
    Participant

’til next spring!

Many thanks. I may manufacture some larger/ higher ones and try bush tomatoes and smaller varieties of chillis – and see what happens! Depends on how many other plates I’m keeping up at the time.

No worries about being discouraged; my first year on an allotment has been a great one and the excitement of trying new things next year (and some successful ones from this year) keeps one coming back for more. Hope everyone’s had some lovely food.

Polytunnel purchase in the future…..hmmm…..it’s certainly a possibility.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags