Cold Frame

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JD 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JD
    Participant

I am about to take possession of an ex-display Access 4’x4’cold frame and wondered what would be the best use of it over winter on my allotment. I’m considering using it as a cloche for now, maybe over some sprouting broccoli with the top glass replaced with insect mesh to allow the rain through? (My broccoli went in very late after the runner beans finished).
    Anyone got better ideas? Or would it be best to wait for February and use it for bringing on seedlings? I do not have a greenhouse/tunnel.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received. This will be my first experience of growing under glass.
    Thank you
    Jan

Christine
    Participant

I also have no greenhouse so am trying to do my best with 1m x1.5m cold frame and a cheap plastic cloche thing from the supermarket.
    At the start of the year I used the cloche to protect early plants but it was really useless and kept blowing off.
    Cold frame worked much better.
    I’m following Charles advice and growing lettuce in the cold frame right now to get some leaves over winter. Bit experimental as it probably isn’t as warm as a greenhouse. Also have some tomato side shoots in there which apparently can overwinter and will be ready early for next year. Thyme in there too as i think it will last through winter if kept dry.
    Like you I only started this year with the garden as we moved house so please take all the above with a warning that it is only what I picked up from Charles books and website. None of this is experience based!
    Regarding the broccoli that was the 1st plant i tried and worked well with no cold protection at all. I didn’t cover with insect mesh though so by summer the whole plant was covered with small black flies and eaten alive with cabbage white. Next year I’ll definitely be investing in so nets/ mesh/fleece!

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Jan,
    I would agree with Christine, but would try and buy some plants as its getting a bit late for raising seedlings.. If I was in your situation I would also try and get some broadbeans going in between the leaf crops. This would give them some protection from the wind last Winter which killed off my crop almost entirely.
    BR
    Neil

JD
    Participant

Thanks guys. I did think of lettuce/salad but didn’t have any plants and thought it was a bit too late to be sowing some now. Hopefully I’ll have got a bit further with transferring my allotment next year and have more than two 4’ x 8’ beds to put anything in.
    Cheers
    Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags