Collecting Seed From Store Brought Produce – Viable?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Collecting Seed From Store Brought Produce – Viable?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  englishlady 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

englishlady

We splurged on a canteloupe melon which was stuffed with seeds.  At just over £1 I decided to harvest the seeds from within.

First job was detataching them from the very soft center pieces (rather like those in tomatoes).  Then washed them in warm water and laid them out to dry on a doubled kitchen roll paper.

So now i have about 100 canteloupe melon seeds for nothing !  The big question though, is are they likely to grow?

Very interested in replies — thanks

Julie

Daucus

They’ll probably grow but with these types of plants unless you know for sure what varieties the parent plants are it’s a lottery as to what you will end up with in terms of fruit next year. If you have the space (and somewhere warm) it might be a fun thing to try and you might or might not end up with something edible.

englishlady

Interesting, I found a great deal about growing them on the RHS website.  Apparently canteloupes are the best for growing in this country.  So I was lucky !

They are absolutely romping away and I have about 50 of the germinated ones so far. Anyone who would like some let me know, happy to post some to you.

Best

Julie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags