Combining Compost Heaps

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Combining Compost Heaps

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Post Man Pete
    Participant

Hi ,
    I’m a complete novice at this but have loved Charles’ you tube videos and the couple of books I’ve bought, read and reference.
    I have two compost heaps filled with grass clippings, kitchen waste, a bit of shredded paper, coffee grounds, mulched leaves, a bit of soil and the left overs of rotted horse manure. One heap is about six months old, has been turned once and is covered, the other is about three months old and uncovered. Both heaps core temperature is only a little above latent air temperature. The heaps are about 1.5m wide x 1.5m deep x 0.5m high. After looking up on the interweb I realise neither of my heaps is high enough….correct? My intention is to combine them into one large heap but which should go on top of which? Oldest, driest on top of newest wetter or the other way around?
    As a bit of background but only if you’re interested ….I started this after coming across Charles’ You Tube videos and deciding to give the weed surpression “hocus pocus” a go with some well rotted compost I had. I spread this on some rose beds and another flower bed that would take me a total of about 3 hours to weed once a month, prolific deep weeds on a heavy clay base. I could not believe the results. Weeds did come up but 15v mins of hoing and all gone and now hardly any….plus the roses and plants looked the best they hadave for seven years. I was totally bitten!!! Being the excessive type…. I’ve constructed three raised beds filled with aged rotted horse manure (thanks Farmer Bob!!), topped with garden centre compost and already planted some garlic cloves (in Dec) which are coming along very nicely. I have broad bean seedlings ready to go in, early pots and second earlies (Swift And Charlotte) ready, summer cabbage, brocolli and cauliflower multisown, thinned and coming along nicely and onions from seeds whihc are developing well (basically I’ve followed “How to create a vegetable garden”!!) and I’m looking to plant 10 asparagus crowns this week…..so completely over the top as a novice!!!

charles

Hello Pete and great to hear of your results.
    I am unsure of the benefits from combining your heaps, the older one sounds almost ready, even if not perfectly decomposed, could be spread eg for planting squash..
    You could use the 3 month old one as “brown for new heap with fresh green material over the next three months or so, that would balance and make heat too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags