Commercial composting

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Commercial composting

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kevin Anderson 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

Commercial hot composting: 2 examples

For those of you who are beginners at hot compost making, or others who are uncertain about the chemistry and physics of hot compost making, these two YouTube videos links may be of interest.

For the majority input, one video shows the use freshly mulched landscape material (trees, leaves, bark, garden waste etc.), the other video shows the use of stable manure.

The end result is pretty much identical – sieved compost which is essential in “no dig” gardening.

What each of you is doing with your backyard, allotment or farm compost piles is a scaled down version of these two industrial processes.

Alternatively, what they are doing is a scaled up version of what you do with your cubic metre (cubic yard) piles.

Irrespective of the scale, both big and small versions need suitable raw materials, heaping, aeration, heaping again and then maturing.

If only they lived up the road from me! 🙂 🙂

Enjoy!

Reliance Compost Company overview (South Africa) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujy7CKNsWzk&t=116s

Palmetto Supreme Organic Compost (South Carolina, USA) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbb0oQGaGHg

(Regarding the horse manure compost: if I were buying this product, I would want to test for drench chemicals previously given to any of the horses. Regarding the green waste compost: if I were buying this product, I would want to test for weedice, pesticide residue. The extent to which either of these commercial products would benefit from further maturation in the bag (say an extra 6 months after bagging) as a cure for the presence of either of these residues, I am ignorant.)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags