Comparing yields between tall and shorter podding pea varieties

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Comparing yields between tall and shorter podding pea varieties

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kirpi
    Participant

I spent £8.00 on 20 x 8ft long bamboo canes and about £3.00 on enough twine to support my tall peas (Hurst Greenshaft) this year, but I doubt if I harvested a yield of more than £2.00 worth of peas. If my canes last four years I will just about break even!

That got me to thinking I might be better off sowing a shorter variety that needs no more than annual prunings of my buddleia and suchlike for a support structure, but would I see much less in the way of productivity compared to taller varieties?

There must be a balance between buying expensive supports and sowing a variety that doesn’t need support but has a generous yield. Your thoughts?

charles

I grew Hurst Greenshaft and it a three foot pea, not 6-7 feet.
    Your yield sounds too low.
    I would boost soil fertility and grow Alderman, Tall Sugar etc, true tall varieties to justify those canes, which should do a few seasons.

Kirpi
    Participant

Thanks Charles – that’s embarrassing! I did a google and of course they are described as a 3ft height. My fellow plotholder described them as a tall pea and I thought nothing of it.

I did also grow Serpette Guilloteau which did reach the 6ft mark and were very sweet albeit a bit on the small side.

I also didn’t do much about soil fertility as I was under the impression that peas fix their own nitrogen and looked after themselves. I will give attention to fertility next year and try those taller varieties you advise. Thank you.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles/Kirpi,

I have been growing Hurst Greenshaft for the past 5 years and in my experience they do grow to around 4′ 6″- 5′ and perhaps a little more.
    I use a 3′ 6″ support frames and add an 18″ extension as they grow and they went well above that this year (the wall on the right is 9″ cavity block). This pic was taken after they had been battered by unexpected strong winds before I got a chance to add the frame extension.

The row on the right were module sown on 10th April and planted out on 30th April. The row on the left were also module sown 28th May and planted out on 16th June. The pic was taken on 24th July.
    I have to module sow as I have a bad mouse problem around my plot – despite having 3 cats!!

Hurst Greenshaft photo 20160724_151117.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags