Compost Advice

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

My compost bins are a mix of seaweed, chicken manure (bedded on shavings), green garden waste, brown leaves, shells & spent brewing grains & hops.

Do you think this compost I’m showing in the photos is ready to be spread this fall for overwintering?

Compost 1 photo is compost that I have stored in a pile with a tarp under and over it to keep the rain off. It isn’t heating up at all anymore and feels cold to the touch.

Compost 2 photo is still in one of my bins but will need to be moved to make room for clearing of my beds.

I’m also going to bringing in maybe 5 or so yards of finished compost this fall – would it be best to put my compost down first and add the finished compost on top?

Thanks in advance for nay replies.

charles

Hi Chris, your compost looks good and usable this fall for sure. A nice mix.
    Yes I would spread it 0.5-1in first, then same amount of bought compost on top, that way all the precious microbes in your compost are meeting soil microbes straightaway.

chris
    Participant

Thank you Charles.

A
    Participant

Hello,

Im relatively new to composting and have concerns about the safety of using compost for growing salad leaves. By this i mean at what point is there no chance the leaves can become contaminated from salmonella, e coli ect from the compost?

I will be washing and drying leaves for sale so i really don’t want to make anybody ill.

Also great videos, very inspirational

Kind Regards

Cleansweep
    Participant

In my non qualified opinion, all soil components are likely to carry the mentioned organisms- and more!! Therefore consider all crops potentially contaminated.If you have grown them, you will know that’s all they carry ,unless you have drenched them in biocides.Problem ?, no but adopt sound hygiene. Wash in clean (saline?)water. Place on clean surfaces, within clean packaging. If offering for sale, add caution in labelling “Recommend washing before use” Whatever you do, you cannot know whether a rat, bird or slug has previously visited your crop. It is unwise to assure otherwise.
    PS If you are engaged in trade, obtain Public liability insurance. The insurer may provide requirements that you should meet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags