Compost analysis

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Compost analysis

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Last spring I had very poor germination of broad beans direct sown into beds covered with compost brought in from my local compost making club.

The RHS offer a soil analysis service which they state is not suitable for composts, so does anybody know where I can get a

compost

analysis done?

Thanks in advance
    CP

compostpope
    Participant

The weird format of the last post was due to the fact that I mistook the “ul” thingy above the post to mean ” underline” – which is what I wanted to do to the word “compost”.

It’s not the first time I have struggled with the technology on this (otherwise excellent) forum. An explanation for the uninitiated amongst us would be helpful….

Best wishes

CP

Rhys
    Participant

I think it may have been something to do with the season, not the compost, CP, as my broad bean germination was very poor last spring also – took longer than usual and then the blackly came earlier than usual: total bust!

I have to say that my autumn sowings this year have also not yet germinated – no idea why…..

jimmy simpson
    Participant

Hi,
    Don’t think your compost would affect germination, Seeds may been problem…….I planted broad beans 3 wks ago in my polytunnel (newly put up & no compost on soil) Planted 22 seed & all up through couple of days ago…..I’m not by any means an expert gardener, Your compost should enhance the quality of your beans, not stop germination i believe…. Hope this helps

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’ve had delayed germination of early spring sown broad beans in the past – to the extent that I’ve given up hope and resown with peas only to find the beans coming up through them.

This year a lot did’nt germinate at all and those that did produced weak, straggly plants which I pulled up in disgust.

The RHS got back to me with the details of companies who do analysis of composts, but these seem to be aiming at large scale producers and appear expensive.

I’ve started a cress test, and in spring I will try sowing a few beans in pots of the compost under cover before I sow direct outdoors.

CP

Don Foley
    Participant

The ul tag does indeed mean underline.
    Press the

tag and then type the text you want underlined followed by the

tag.
    The “ul” tag changes to “/ul” when you select the former. These are HTML codes.

Don.

Don Foley
    Participant
      Your right, doesn’t work!

John
    Participant

Hi Don

You are correct in saying that ‘ul’ is a HTML tag but it is for an Unordered List or a list with bullets. ‘ol’ is an ordered list, with each list item numbered. There isn’t an underline tag in the editor and, in any case, underlining is confusing as it is usually used for links. With this editor it is better to use the ‘b’ tag for emphasis – like this .
    <strong>like this </strong>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags