Compost Bin Construction

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Compost Bin Construction

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Really interested in building a compost bin structure similar what I see on the videos of Homeacres. Charles, did you design this on your own or did you work off a plan? Looks simple enough from what I see from pictures, but would be handy to have some measurements and any ideas for improvements to the design after having some experience using it.

charles

Hello Tommy and yes, I designed the structure, which is as simple as you see. The 6in main posts are a foot into the ground with some concrete around.
    One variation would be to have posts that allow slotting planks in and out, as heaps are filled and then emptied.
    My structure has plywood screwed to sides and front, then unscrewed to turn and empty heaps.
    Bay size is approx. 1.5m/5ft square, should be 4ft for a smaller garden.

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Thanks Charles for the details. The simplicity is the attraction to the structure. With the height of the roof for cover, I like the fact you can work the compost under cover and walk in and out like it was a potting shed to store some tools that can be outside under cover.

In terms of size, I just moved into a new house that I bought explicitly for the land to vegetable and flower garden (6 acres with some woods and ~ 1.5-2 acres flat open spaces). I currently have a 50′ x 120′ initial plot I am starting no dig. I also have 8 flower garden beds throughout the 6 acre property, so I believe I should go with the 1.5m/5ft square.

Thanks again for the quick feedback. Hope to make it out your way some day for a class. I watch your events page to see if you ever make it to the southeastern US, since I am in Georgia.

charles

Yes it has turned out to be a generally useful space. Steph set up a bookshop in two bays during an open day.
    Best of luck with yours, you could post an image once complete. One day I shall make it to your part of the world.

Rhys
    Participant

Tommy

I do not know if collecting water is important in Georgia, but designs like that have quite an ability to fill water butts if you slope the roof front to back and have butts to the rear. If nothing else, they should allow you to keep early heaps appropriately moist…..

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Thanks Rhys for the additional feedback on the roof. Charles, I will be sure to take a picture when done. Looking forward to seeing you one day on your home turf or mine. For now, here is a picture of a part of the garden under the snow we just received 2 days ago. A 7 inch snow in Georgia in early December is quite rare. Cheers!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

That is a lovely photo Tommy and I look forward to seeing your building too.

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Hi Charles, I thought I would come back and give you an update on the compost bin system. I went with 5′ x 5′ bins for 6 bins and then at the end it has a 10′ x 5′ area that I will be using for a garden tool shed. The overall compost structure is completed (except for the tool shed). I went with fence pickets (front is cedar and the other sides are pine) for the walls. These fence pickets are sliding in an aluminum u-channel to allow to easily slide up and remove.

Here are two Instagram posts that highlight the compost bin:

• – Video of the interiors of the bins – https://www.instagram.com/p/BicygWxnzEy
    – Series of pictures as we are building the structure – https://www.instagram.com/p/BleWYZHgfAs
    – Most recent picture with all bins built – https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9fG6dnI60
  • I have also uploaded a picture of the bin.

Thanks Charles for being the inspiration for the structure and your guidance in building it. I will try to remember to post a picture after the tool shed is completed. I am going to put a concrete pad as the floor and thinking about options for the walls to allow for holding tools and have ventilation.

Tommy Ryan
Participant

Here is the photo. Posting this separately because I think it was blocking my ability to post the previous response.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Amazing Tommy and thanks for the update.
A fine building, may it help make lots of compost.

AndyT
Participant

I too am about to build a compost bin set. Our garden is total about 2 and half acres but is mostly scrub land at present. I plan to start with a vegetable garden, no dig of course, which will be around 13′ wide and around 30′ long. We have a big problem with ground elder and bindweed so no dig, with an appropriate cardboard (or newspaper???) barrier, is quite attractive to suppress these. I will set raised beds along the length. I plan to use recycled pallet wood for the sides and slotted wooden posts set in concrete for the supports. Coverage will be with old carpet.
My plan is for four bays, each bay will be 1.2m by 1,2m (as this is the length of most pallet wood).
I was wondering about using a plastic base (as used to support a shed see https://www.a1sheds.com/probase-grid-shed-base-459-special-offer-9222-p.asp) as I have some panels left over from a shed install. These are porous and would provide an easy base to shovel compost from when moving between bins.
Any comments on these plans would be welcomed. Especially on the proposed base and the size of compost bin set for the garden we have.
Thanks
Andrew

Kevin Anderson
Participant

Andrew: in my experience, if you have a weed-free soil base, you won’t need a separate base.

The heat of the piles will kill any perannial weeds. The problem might arise in your mature pile (left to mature over a 3 or 6 month period) as invasive weeds could become a nightmare! I have couch (twitch grass) which means that I need a layer under the maturing pile.

I have seen a Youtube video on a 1.2m square pallet bin (4 feet square) arrangement with the metal base of an IBC container (1000 litre tank) as the base of the bin. Perfect for gathering the excess moisture of a bin. I would like to replicate, but I can’t find any damaged IBCs. Collecting excess moisture from a compost bin (by having a metal base) would be useful in a dry climate, where each drop of rainwater and moisture is precious.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags