Compost Bins

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  plantmark 8 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

I am intending to make a triple bay compost bin. I see from those that are commercially available that some have wire sides and no floor with lid and others have a solid floor with solid sides and a lid.
    Which is the best option?

Hawfinch
    Participant

I have two with wire sides and no floor and one with solid sides and lid but no floor and am very happy with both options. The good thing about having open floors is that compost worms move in, some people might have problems with rats or other critters that can be kept out with sturdy wire, but the worms make excellent compost and I’d not be without them. Another advantage to having open sides or bottoms is that slow worms also move in. Unless one has hot compost bins I don’t think it makes much difference to how fast the composting process is whether the sides are open or not. At least I don’t see much of a difference.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Hawfinch/Plantmark,

I like most of us constructed my own Bins. They are 1mx1mx1m with 5mm mesh sides and a wooden lid. The Bins sit directly on the ground.
    The lid keeps the worst of the rainfall off the pile and helps to conserve some of the heat whilst the mesh allows good airflow to the heap.
    The sides of the heap tend to dry out quickly so it is essential to fork over the heap at least once a month (more often in summer/drier months to ensure even moisture through out.
    After about 9 months I empty the bin into a finishing bin of similar dimensions with solid sides (with a few holes drilled to allow air flow) to complete the process which usually takes about 3 months where upon I bag these contents until I need it.
    With this system at any given time I would have a current bin, a finishing bin and bags of finished compost ready for use.
    I don’t turn the heap in the accepted manner but I do fork it over on a very regular basis.
    In the colder wetter months I cover approx. 75% of the sides of the current bin with sheets of cardboard to conserve heat within the heap.

Don.

plantmark
    Participant

Many thanks Don and Hawfinch.
    Mark

bluebell
    Participant

As someone who is doing battle with an open sided bin that has been abandoned and now has couch guess on top and sides I would make the case for solid sides and top if you have perennial weeds to compost.

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks for the input blebell

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for these tips Don and Bluebell, they are helpful.

I’ve used scrunched up newspaper stuffed into pallet sides to help conserve heat. I’m now wondering if this is necessary to make quality compost.

Mark, my present setup is a triple bin arrangement using pallets on soil. This is helpful from the ease of turning; bin one into bin two and by the time it has then sat in bin three for a couple of months it should be ready. But I’m still learning as it’s early days for me. Good luck with it.

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Stringfellow

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags