Compost – for sowing and pricking out – what to use?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Compost – for sowing and pricking out – what to use?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin J 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Happy 2015 everybody!

Well i’m looking into bought bagged composts for sowing seeds into , and pricking out.

Last year I had a nightmare with New Horizons , so that is now off my list, forever!

This is my strategy for this year, a mix of – 1/2 west riding multipurpose & 1/2 melcourt sylvagrow

I’m going to try this because I had really good results with a mix of 1/2 my own sieved garden compost, and 1/2 new horizons. My own compost full of nutrients, but very dense. So 1/2 new horizons to add some air and drainage (and no nutrients haha)

If anyone is interested in South West,

http://www.jfcmonro.co.uk/melcourt-sylvagrow-50lt~1048

will deliver free for orders over £100, a good deal if you do a lot of plant raising!

charles

Thanks for this Dan, a great idea.
    Which? Gardening’s results from 2014 gave good marks to Verve multipurpose peat-free. For some reason they did not test Melcourt. Ones to avoid were Dalesfoot wool compost for seeds, John Innes No 1, Waitrose multipurpose and Carbon Gold All Purpose.
    I agree about W Riding, it is dense, full of nutrients, so good for mixing with something lighter.

Martin J
    Participant

I must agree – found that New Horizons was very disappointing last year after making a big effort to source it locally. Seed compost purchase seems such a lottery from year to year as quality changes – this makes things even more difficult if you are trying to work with a limited budget and then are let down by the results. I am prepared to pay a premium for organic composts but surely there should then be a guaranteed minimum standard!

charles

Yes it is odd and annoying that companies can sell compost which is so poor, they must know, it takes on ly a few weeks to spot problems.
    Unfortunately the West Riding I use is available by pallet only, 65 bags of 40 litres for £340 or half pallet for £204.
    Viridor are just getting into multipurpose compost and first indications are promising, but they are still looking for retail sellers.

Martin J
    Participant

Thanks for that helpful information Charles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags