Compost Pile

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  colin 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

colin
    Participant

At last I have got a compost pile that gets hot, at top end of the red scale on the thermometer 70 degrees yesterday.

At the moment it is just 2 bays made with pallets but going to make more (possible 6/8) so wondering what is the best practice fill up one bay to top, leave it to rot down and move to next bin or keep topping it up.

colin
    Participant

Did some research on web and came up with answer of batch composting as opposed to add as you go.

charles

Colin, perhaps my video can help too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf6CGj7xpFE

colin
    Participant

Thank.s Charles I missed that one.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Charles (et al),
    I’ve just reread what is on the site and watched your video again. I wonder whether the following may help.
    I’ve got a 2 bing system at my allotments and the older bing has been maturing compost for the last 9 months. It was a reasonable mixture of brown and green, was turned about April and watered as it was way too dry (London weather), and had been sulking, but fortunately started to heat up after the turn. It then went up to 60ish C. After a dry May I capped it with a good 3″ layer of well rotted horse manure which had a fantastic population of small red worms in it. My theory was that it would help the heap retain the moisture which this summer did its level best to remove. Thinking about it, I wondered if the worms would work downwards as the heap cooled, would spread bacteria and promote soil biodiversity which hot compost may have killed off. I’ve not seen any literature about this. My heaps are exposed to the elements and made of the ubiquitous three pallets and a removable fourth side. There is no top.
    So the question is… do you think this is a worthwhile move, or was it just occupational therapy for me?
    PS
    I have broad shoulders so can take criticism 🙂

charles

Hey Neil your compost creating sounds brilliant.
    Yes too much heat is not so beneficial, and I am guilty of that.
    Biodynamic people like cooler heaps for extra fungi and microbes (though maybe more weed seedlings) so basically we have choices.
    In practice it’s about how much time & space & materials you have at any time of year. Plus moisture and in your case I would line the pallets with thick cardboard on the inside, as you build up/fill the heap, to conserve moisture and warmth.
    Keep us informed of progress!

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Good idea, lining to keep in the moisture. Thanks Charles.
    Makes me think of your ethos of learning the principles so they can be applied in different scenarios…
    BR
    Neil

colin
    Participant

I lined the sides with cardboard to stop the compost falling out your reason has made it more relevant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags