Compost that's too strong ?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Compost that's too strong ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mick104 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dominicjames
    Participant

Hi

I was just wondering is it possible to get compost that is too rich to plant in directly ?

I’m contemplating buying a bulk bag of compost that is

40% food , 40% green and 20% fish .

Someone suggested that this would be too strong to plant in directly and would need to be mixed with topsoil ?

Is this true ?

Regards
    Dominic

Mick104
    Participant

Hi Dominic, has this material been composted ? .
    I am also on the West coast (Clare), if you give a link or some info on the source I will look into it for you.

dominicjames
    Participant

Hi mick

I’ve actually decided to go with horse manure . There’s a seller in cork that has good quality compost . It’s herbicide free .

Gee up. I have decided to use this instead as if like to get everything as organic as possible.

Dominic

Mick104
    Participant

You wont go far wrong with the Horse manure .
    I make a compost pile once a month.
    My recipe is one quarter fresh horse manure one quarter seaweed and then what ever else the season provides . All this I mix into a 4 x 4 heap which I turn after four days, at day six I put the lot into 1-Ton bags and leave for six months or more.
    Here is a very quick vid, sorry the sound is very low .
    As you can see I have a vent pipe for air some hose pipe to keep the covers off the compost and the lot is covered with polythene and carpet, the worms love the dark .
    One Ton Bag >> >>

dominicjames
    Participant

Mick thanks for sharing on your compost .

The seaweed is a great idea . My partner actually mentioned it before but I forgot about it .

I just built some composition bays with pallets a few weeks ago.

I’m filling them with horse manure and scraps etc

But I will definitely give the seaweed ago .

Great idea too with the water pipe for the polythene.

I was thinking of buying a tarp but I actually have 1000 guage polythene , I might try to do something similar with the water pipe to keep it dry .

Good idea with the drain pipe as well .

How is the sea weed for decomposing does it decomompose just as fast as the manure or is it a bit longer ?

Thanks again for the video

colin
    Participant

Thanks for sharing some good ideas… Wondering how do the worms get into the bags?

Mick104
    Participant

“How is the sea weed for decomposing”
    The most common types of seaweeds we find here are Kelp and Bladder Wrack, there are numerous others but these two will make up the bulk of the load. I do a variation of the hot composting technique. While the compost is hot the kelp will disintegrate in under two weeks, the bladder wrack will take much longer and you might even find bits when you spread it on your beds, but that’s not a problem .
    Hot Composting >> >> .

“Wondering how do the worms get into the bags? ”
    Worms can travel a great distance above ground (mostly at night) climbing the bag is no object 🙂 .
    Where there is an abundance of food creatures will procreate prolifically so you only need a few to get the party started.

As there are as many composting methods as there are composter’s I will do a post on mine in a few days .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags