compost with high pH

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground compost with high pH

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Wellies 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Janet
    Participant

Hello all,

I am a small commercial grower and this winter have made all our tunnel beds using the no-dig method. We made our beds by applying a thin layer of our own composted FYM topped with a 2-3″ layer of a purchased compost (from a reputable (& organically certified) source). We sent a sample of the purchased compost off for analysis and the results have just come back with pH8.3, which is very high. My plants have been doing well so far, showing health and vigour but I am concerned by this high pH. These crops are our livelihood until the spring sowings so if there is something I can or should do now to bring this pH into more neutral territory then I would like to act now.
    Our first planting using the method described above was made on 5th Sep and as said all looks good so far.

Thanks in advance for your help

charles

This would not worry me at all, and as you say your plants are happy.
    In the old days when mushroom compost was pH 8.5 or higher (now it’s often neutral) I was using it on soil with pH 7.8 and all veg grew fine.
    Best leave alone and enjoy the harvests.

Janet
    Participant

Thanks Charles! Sometimes we just need a bit of reassurance 🙂

Wellies
    Participant

I would love some alkaline compost. It might help with my very acidic soil.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags