Compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tgcorkin 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sarah Bell

Question on compost. We have 3 very large compost bins – approximately on a 2 year cycle.I.e. one being filled, one being used and one resting. It is turned and covered.

i.e. we have plenty of compost and hence do not need to buy in compost. However what I don’t know is whether we should buy in some commercial compost eg. John Innes No1 to use to mix in with our compost. In other words how can I assess if our compost is “good enough?” Are there any obvious tell tell signs?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

charles

I often wonder the same. You sound well placed because you have some older compost which, I suspect, has plenty of goodness, but it probably needs sieving which is easiest if it is more dry than wet. Not too fine a sieve, to remove twigs, stones etc; lumps of compost are not a problem i.e. it does not need to be super fine.

You can add some nutrients but take a look at these photos to have an idea of the enduring quality of homemade compost, which is the pot at back right. These are lettuce plants which I potted last July into "Everbloom" bottom left, West Riding module compost bottom right, cow manure top left and my own compost top right.

JULY     AUGUST

SEPTEMBER

I was impressed by the different qualities of each compost – West Riding for the fast growth initially, then an abundance from the manure, and most staying power from the homemade compost. There were no extra nutrients added and some leaves were picked after each photo to keep plants of a manageable size, picking to the same number remaining on each. 

The "Everbloom" as labelled ‘organic farmyard manure’ but looked and behaved like green waste compost.

Sarah Bell

Thank you so much – you are an absolute star! This is so interesting to see! What a fabulous experiment to have recorded.

We are so grateful for all your work and knowledge and hence are following your advice to the book – and are getting some really great results. You are an inspiration! Sarah Bell

charles

question from Terry Corkin

"As an allotment holder I enjoyed your recent talk in Bath on the no dig approach – it gave me a lot to think about.  My query is about what compost I should purchase for general use in pots and for growing seedlings for planting out. My dilemma is the usual one concerning environmental issues.

I recall you said that you found peat compost superior to non peat composts and that you obtained yours from a relatively sustainable source – was it somewhere in Yorks?  Anyway, could you please give me a reference and where I might buy a small amount?"

Hello Terry, yes it is pet based compost from West Riding (based on peat from reservoir sievings). The problem is how to buy it sensibly – bags of 40 litres retail at £11-14 but cost £6 or so in whole pallets of 50 or 60 bags. (see post under ‘Composting Weed Seeds’ in this forum). If you know enough like minded people, a pallet-share would be worthwhile. Telephone 01706 379944 or follow link from this site under contacts.

It is nutritious compost and somehow keeps good for a long time as I often use up the remains of last year’s before buying a new pallet, and growth is consistently good.

tgcorkin

Thank you for the information I requested though I need to get the price down to around £6 a bag before I would buy.

I am particularly interested in your reference to pet based compost. We have cat problems around here and I wondered: does it matter how the cats are disposed of and how long they take to rot down?

Best regards
    Terry Corkin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags