Composting pine cones?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Composting pine cones?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

I have 2 big conifer trees on the edge of my plot and consequently lots of pine cones (about 4 or 5 bin-bags). Does anyone compost them? and if so, any helpful tips?

Cheers, CP

charles

I imagine they need to be shredded into small pieces, inless you can wait a long time.

bluebell
    Participant

I would say bay far the etter use is as fire lighters/ kindling, then so long as you only burn only wood, you can then use it on the garden as ash :)

compostpope
    Participant

I tried it with my mower but given the time and effort involved and the unlimited amounts of  alternative “Browns” I have available for my compost heap  I’ve decided  to see if the guys from the council will accept them when they come to the allotments with their shredder…. 

Congratulations on the recent,  much deserved award and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

CP

compostpope
    Participant

.. but I live in a flat and have no open fire and bonfires are forbidden on our allotments.

But thanks for the suggestion, might be useful for others in different circumstances!

CP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags