Composting with coffee grounds.

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Composting with coffee grounds.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Shaun Pearce 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gavin Stone
    Participant

I already asked Charles for his 2 cents on this. But I was wondering about everyone else’s expierience using coffee grounds to heat your compost up? How much is too much? Has anyone used it on a larger scale with multiple piles? Any issues with chemicals in the grounds?Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi Gavin, I used it quite a bit last spring and summer. It definitely heated up my compost piles, I only have space for two, but I got lovely compost faster than in other years. I, once again, can only recommend looking at the oneyardrevolution videos on Youtube. Patrick Dolan has several videos about how and why he uses coffee grounds. You might have to go a bit back to find the specific coffee ground videos, but they are well worth the time spent watching them.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi. I have a memory of starting a thread on here a few years back. – try a search and it should come up.

Unfortunately the Starbucks shops in our city now can’t be bothered to bag the spent grounds up 🙁

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Gavin,

Its hard to say what is too much but as with any quantity of a particular ingredient, leaves, grass, etc., you have to use your own judgement. Not too much of any one ingredient. For the home gardener composting is not an exact science.

Don.

James
    Participant

Oeyardrevolution video for coffee grounds.

Deborah
    Participant

I have about two to three tablespoons a day of coffee grounds, and I just randomly hurl them on the flower garden, especially the roses. I am too mean to put compost on the flowerbeds, just copious quantities of leaves in the autumn, and the coffee grounds.

I reserve compost for the vegetable garden. BUT, to heat up my compost I use 24 – 36 hours worth of urine in a watering can, (donated by my husband, or any male visitors, who have the correct apparatus!) to pour over the heap, about every four or five days when I “do” the compost. I have done this for over 40 years. And now that I have given the compost heaps insulated covers , my compost is now VERY hot.

charles

Deborah, thanks for sharing your great tips.
    I have a friend who collects grounds from the local cafes, 3 buckets/week and he puts them in an insulated bin to keep a hotbed running at 35-40C through winter, in his greenhouse.

Gavin Stone
    Participant

It’s amazing to hear different peoples tips and tactics they use to achieve compost. And I appreciate the link to the one yard revalation guy on YouTube. Since I last posted this i started a fairly nice sized pallet compost bin and layerd chips and coffee grounds and a little chicken manure all the way up. The pile has really started to heat up. And the bonus is it smells like a fresh brewed cup of coffee with a light sweet smell of pine chips mixed in. Thank you all so much for the comments so far. I’ve come to see this website as a real resource,

Shaun Pearce
    Participant

I do know that you can use upto at least 25% of composted coffee grinds. I must put 40-60kg on my plot every week to 2 weeks with No problems. I must have put 100kg in my fresh horse manure bins just a few weeks ago and boy does it speed up the process.

If you do put lots on the ground watch out for crusting as it will prevent water getting to the roots so I lightly rake it in after spreading. Plus SLUGS hate it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags