Composting wool fleece?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Composting wool fleece?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Participant

I have been offered more ‘raw’ fleece than I can shake a stick at. My neighbour has loads on offer and has already delivered a tonne builders bagfull here. Now, can I compost it? I am a bit concerned because it has this pretty hefty level of natural lanolin (?) on it which I am worried might delay the breakdown of the fibre. Am I worrying too much, I usually do.

Any ideas for alternative uses would be much appreciated.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Sandra, search ‘composting wool’ in the forum search box above. Plenty of results from 2016

MJSJ
    Participant

Hi Sandra I have sheep so often use wool it takes a while to break down & on beds weeds can sometimes get tangled up in it but otherwise good around small plants but not 100 % against slugs not really necessary with no dig best put in compost as heats up quite hot & will break down quicker .if you have areas rough & weedy a very thick layer will mulch out weeds & supply slow release nitrogen you could add compost on top to plant into as it would take along time to break up. Hope this helps

Sandra
    Participant

I will do that now Cleansweep, thanks.

MJSJ, yes, I have started to layer it in my compost heap. I do have some no man’s land areas that I want to get control of, so I think that I will be raiding my neighbour’s barn now for the 3 or 4 years worth of fleece that he hasn’t been able to face sending to the tip luckily for me! I have already used the first tonne builders bags full of fleece and it hasn’t blown away as much as I expected it to – a bonus here because we have had lots of gales and rain in the last week. Still, my storage tanks are filling up, though the pond has a way to go to be full still.

Thanks to you both.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags