concerns about over-fertilisation with manure mulch

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground concerns about over-fertilisation with manure mulch

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ashleigh
    Participant

hello,

i’ve had a few people try to tell me that spreading 6-8″s of well-rotted manure to create beds will lead to a ‘poisonous’ amount of nitrogen/other nutrients in the soil.

i confidently replied that it worked perfectly last year on our first site. but then it was pointed out to me that the soil there was poor, whereas the soil on our new site is already quite fertile.

is there any actual danger of over-fertilisation?

Stringfellow
    Participant

I would like this clarifying too, as there has been an odd ‘sour’ make negative remarks down our site.

I wonder if there is confusion over chemical fertilisers being called ‘manures’ which can leach into soil; Charles funky new ‘Myths’ book covers this in detail.

I did grow a tomato plant in a pot of well rotted cow manure last year and it grew well and produced tasty fruit – obviously didn’t poison that plant etc.

charles

Hello both, when you do things differently, comments arise! Ashleigh, are you using that much to kill persistent perennial weeds? Otherwise on fertile soil, the annual 1-2in is good. I have never recommended 6in per year.
    Well rotted manure is compost and does not flood soil with water soluble nutrients.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for the reassurance Charles, results speak for themselves I suppose!

Hope you can deal with those leather jackets before they cause much more trouble, and what an impressive squash Steph has grown!

Steph
    Participant

It is amazing how critical some people can be when they see a person doing things differently to them! It isn’t nice to hear it, but one just has to smile cheerfully, ignore the comments and get on with good gardening.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for this Steph, it’s not something I’ve read about in any gardening books, and came as something of a surprise.

Yes, not nice to hear, but plenty of lovely folk down at my site too. Enjoy your squash!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags