cost of organic cow manure

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground cost of organic cow manure

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cossack 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

A neighbour of mine is a registered organic farmer. Neither he nor I know how much a trailor load of organic cow manure should cost… Can any help us here?? K

charles

so how many tons of manure in the trailer? £15/ton is probably minimum price, extra if well rotted

cossack

I live near a farm in Cheshire – where I get organic raw milk and eggs from – and knowing that the farmer farms on a higher strategy than organic – and with absolute integrity – I can get top grade cow dung for £20 a trailer full.

And, knowing that he doesn’t pump his cattle full of antibiotics etc is great for me as I want to be as organic as is possible on my allotment site.

Ps. To Charles … I am very taken with the advice on how to grow stuff in your fab book ‘How To Grow Winter Vegetables’ it is certainly opening my eyes and teaching me great, practical stuff as I am a novice and hadn’t grown anything other than a few house plants before this year.

Huge thanks, Amanda.

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi Amanda,
    Thanks for that – so much depends on the size of the trailor! I paid £50 for a 6 ton trailor of organic cow manure which I know Charles feels is under valued. However the farmer and I were both happy!
    Good luck with your allotment.
    Kate

Stevie342000

Given that manure is manure, then surely if it is organic or not makes little difference?

When you consider how much manure you may put on your land once it has rotted down, then surely any traces of additives from non-organic farming practices are neither here nor there?

So it begs the question other than salving your conscience why bother paying any extra for organic manure?

I suppose it is up to the individual, for me it matters not if it is organic as the practice for me of following NO DIG and not using any other additives other than those that are considered to be organic.

Avoiding where possible the use of chemicals for outways the cost of organic or not as far as manure is concerned.

Aside from which I have no control of where the manure that comes to our allotment site comes from, so the point is mute.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags