Courgette Help!

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Courgette Help!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hollie Henderson
    Participant

Hi,

I am 20 years old (so apologies for my naivety!) but have been very proudly growing my first ever courgettes, and I am a bit concerned because one of the leaves looks quite different to the rest – has the plant become diseased or is this normal? I have attached some pictures!

Thank you,

Hollie

charles

Hollie you have a beautiful and healthy plant, well done.
    The silver veining is a feature of normal leaves, on certain varieties such as Early Gem and others.
    Courgettes are robust plants, for example later on in summer some older leaves will become mildewed as they die. This also is normal and nothing to worry about.
    Enjoy your harvest.

John
    Participant

Hi Hollie

I am just on 70 years old (so apologies for my jealousy!). Great plants.

Hollie Henderson
    Participant

Hi Charles and John,

Thank you so much for coming back to me – I am so happy that this is normal! Thanks for letting me know about the older leaves, I now can’t wait to pick my first courgettes.

I have bought 2 of your books Charles and they are so inspiring – you have got me totally hooked on gardening!

Have a lovely bank holiday weekend both of you,

Hollie

Rhys
    Participant

Hollie

if you ever get the chance to visit Charles’garden, take it. It is awesome and inspiring. He has an open day in the summer and runs regular day courses as well.

I started using Charles’ methods three years ago and things get better each year.

My biggest learnings have been the importance of making good compost (plants grow more healthily and resist pests much better in good compost) and finding good sources of high quality compost to sow seeds in modules (Klassmann-Deilmann professional compost and Moorland gold are two good ones) which I sourced from smaller Uk suppliers (including Real Seeds, Seeds of Italy). It is only in year 3 that the benefits of enough good compost for the plot are making themselves felt.

Ultimately, you have to follow the journey yourself. Good luck and enjoy it!

Hollie Henderson
    Participant

Hi Rhys!

I would absolutely love to visit his garden – my parents used to live in Shepton Mallet so it would be a good opportunity to visit anyway!

It’s great to hear your story and thank you very much for your advice. I am enjoying spending my evenings in the garden so so much!

Just another quick question – I have just popped home and my courgette leaves have wilted (!), will this be due to lack of water (I watered them last night) and the extreme heat of the sun today, or maybe something to do with the sweltering heat in the greenhouse?

I am such an amateur at this!

Thanks,

Hollie

charles

It’s the heat Hollie. Wilting is plant’s defence mechanism like a hibernation.
    Just water and leaves will revive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags