Creating a no-dig lawn

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Creating a no-dig lawn

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Asif 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hello Charles and fellow no-diggers

I’ve plastic mulched a large area bordering some grow beds for over a year now. It’s now free of weeds and currently verry muddy clay. I’d like to seed this area with grass as cheaply as possible using a no dig approach but not completely sure how. As it’s a non-cropping area, can I get away with just spreading grass on top of the clay? Or should I spread a thin layer of fine compost first and then the grass seed on top? Do I need to protect the seeds from birds?

Any advice much appreciated.

Asif

Cleansweep
    Participant

My method would be to mix the grass seed into a bucket of compost, moisten and stand under cover for 2-3 days*. Broadcast the mixture evenly and then apply 12mm of compost and firm evenly ,using a board((900x75x12) on a broom handle to tamp down tightly.Best done in September,or March.Keep watered until established. Trim lightly at about 6weeks-75mm tall,not shorter than 40mm.
    * This is to start the germination process, as the seed changes, it becomes less paletable to birds(Think malt barley..)

Asif
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughts on this Cleansweep. Really like the idea of germinating prior to spreading. Looking forward to trying this out in March.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags