Creating under-seed-tray heat in an unseated greenhouse se

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Creating under-seed-tray heat in an unseated greenhouse se

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  peat 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Charles, I was at the Living Soil course at Schumacher in July and I think you mentioned a “hot box” technique for gaining an early start with seed trays. The glasshouse we use is without power and rather too large to heat. (It isn’t our own.) there is sufficient room to build a compost style box and we have free access to stable manure and garden compost. I believe you suggested putting a pallet or similar over the compost, and renewing composting materials every few weeks. Is there anything else I should consider before embarking on this project?

davidk
    Participant

Yes Secret Gardener, this is the way to go. I visited Charles this last April & saw his Hot beds in full swing, it didn’t half make me very envious. to see all those small plants not only surviving but vigorously growing, in the new greenhouse & outside too.
    & eating salad for lunch in April too!!

See Archives above for March & April to get envious!

You’ll need some insulation material to hold the heat, Charles used straw, I have some old insulation panels that I’ll be using in my poly-tunnel in 2014. & maybe fleece too, or a covering material.

If you haven’t read Jack First’s book HOT BED’s, it’s good little read.

Good Luck.

charles

Yes you have remembered right, effectively a compost heap in the greenhouse with a pallet on top, and as David says there is more information in the archives of March and April, under This Month.

I plan my first one for early February, or late January if mild, then empty out and refill around mid March. You get best heat for about 6 weeks. I just used half inch plywood, but insulation would cause more heat to be retained and drift up through the seed trays.

peat
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags