crop rotation of peas and beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables crop rotation of peas and beans

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Test Order 11 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Barbara

Does anyone have experience of growing legumes in the same place every year?

I have a seven year roation for tall and large crops, which includes tall peas, climbing french beans, and runner beans separated by a year of non-legumes. The problem is they’re on a windy site so I use fence posts to support the bamboo canes. Now it comes to re-siting the fence posts my crop plan doesn’t seem like such a good idea!

I could make use of the supports for other crops but there aren’t many tall crops to choose from. Outdoor tomatoes, melons, etc. wouldn’t do well because of early frost – last year i had frost damage to pumpkins at the end of August.

I am considering growing the legumes in the same beds so i don’t have to move the posts but have problems with pea and bean weevil. They don’t seem to attack the runner beans and french beans, only the peas, but i’m concerned about keeping legumes in the same beds every year even if its different legumes. Would this make the weevil problem worse? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

peat
    Participant

Hi Barbara
    Runner beans are tender perennials. In their natural habitat they would grow in the same place.
    Pete

charles

Barbara,  I have found that pea and bean weevil, like most pests, are more infuenced by weather than anything, and appear out of nowhere when conditions are right for them. For all the reasons you give, I would try repeat growing.

Barbara

Thanks Pete, I knew about them being perennial, but hadn’t made the connection. I’m now happy to grow the french and runner beans in the same place this year. It makes perfect sense when you look at it from that angle. I wonder then, if it might even improve yields for beans.

Barbara

Hi Charles, Thanks the the info on the weevils. Do they become more troublesome in warmer weather? I’ve seen conflicting information on the internet.

Test Order
    Keymaster

hello

if your worried? You could mix in compost and rock dust to give the soil a fresh start.

just an idea i am thinking of trying.

(sorry if i replied to the wrong post.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags