Cucumber fruits failing to grow

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Cucumber fruits failing to grow

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  prt 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HeatheryWales
    Participant

WAUTOMA CUCUMBER: I have lots of fruits setting but they wither when at approx 1 cm length. I have one plant with lots of large leaves, tendrils and flowers growing in the corner of a small polytunnel. I haven’t given it enough infrastructure to climb up so the foliage is rather dense. I’m removing the male flowers & I water it well every two days. We’ve only had one mature cucumber so far this year. How can I help the fruits mature?

charles

From this information, I would leave male flowers (it’s bred to be bitter free with low maintenance), check soil moisture under the leaves & if v damp, water less, see what happens.

HeatheryWales
    Participant

Thank you very much, I’ll try that & let you know what happens.

prt
    Participant

I am growing Wautoma this year as well. I have not removed the male flowers and usually water daily. So far, twelve cucumbers from two plants. Is it possible that the temperature is too high? I have two plants of another variety (F1, all-female) that are at different ends of the greenhouse: the one in the corner that gets most sun has given a poor yield with withered fruits as the OP describes whereas the one twelve feet away in a slightly cooler part has been prolific. By the way, if you want an open-pollinated variety I find Tamra to be superior to Wautoma in terms of flavour and texture – it also doesn’t need peeling!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags