Cucumbers, sowing beans

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Cucumbers, sowing beans

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

I have successfully germinated some marketmore organic cucumber seeds but would like advice on how to grow cucumbers outdoors in Somerset (hopefully the weather will improve in June!) Are they best tied on to a trellis or allowed to sprawl on the ground, and do I have to train them in any way? By the way, the two small raised beds I put in last year over grass and filled with well rotted horse manure were a great success as was the kale and salad stuff grown in them. I am in the process of making room for another. Many thanks ElizaD

charles

I have not tried them up a trellis, but they are easy at ground level, sprawling in all directions, good you are waiting until June before planting outside.
    And thanks for feedback on the beds, well done.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback. I think I will try both ways as space is an issue and see what happens!

ElizaD
    Participant

Thought I would update you on the cucumbers.

My two plants growing up a trellis have bigger cucumbers on them and are definitely more manageable for me with my limited space. The sprawling plants are everywhere with smaller cucumbers on them.

Only change I’d make is to wind the climbing ones round a small wigwam affair rather than a flat trellis – just would be easier to accommodate all the new side shoots.

I shall definitely be growing upwards in future years!

ElizaD

charles

Thanks Eliza that is helpful. I think windy gardens might have a problem (here!) but otherwise a great idea.

ElizaD
    Participant

Further update: have eaten a total of four cucumbers now, absolutely yummy! Two or three more just about ready. I’ve tied up the two sprawling plants as I was tripping over them all the time on my paths – one is tied up a trellis and the other on a cane wigwam. The sprawling plant that kept getting some mildew on it seems to have stopped now it’s climbing. Can’t believe I hadn’t grown outdoor cucumbers before now. You live and learn.

charles

Sounds excellent! I planted some Tanya after early potatoes and picked the first one yesterday, as you say the flavour is really good, a bit richer than indoor ones perhaps.

ElizaD
    Participant

Never grown indoor cucumbers as don’t have a proper greenhouse. Looking forward to trying another outdoor type next year, has to climb though! Recommendations welcome. Need to create another planting area or two as well.

ElizaD
    Participant

Having grown , eaten and given away more cucumbers than I can shake a stick at, can you advise roughly when my outdoor marketmore cucumbers will eventually succumb to the cold?

And, nothing to do with cucumbers , but I am planting some broad beans in November and wondered should I manure the bed first or leave it until nest year. I am thinking that I should maybe manure between rows at planting time?

charles

Congratulations on your cucumbers, they are slowing down now, usually because of seasonal mildew on their leaves as well as cooler weather, shorter days. So not long.
    By ‘manure’ I guess you mean compost, i.e. composted manure – only say that as otherwise it confuses sometimes. I usually sow broad beans then spread it over the whole bed, seeds push through by December.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thank you. I will just bury the beans then! Yes, I did mean compost but well rotted horse manure specifically as someone was kind enough to let me have a few bags – not enough for my needs but welcome enough.

I am just clearing runner beans and blighted tomatoes and hence bamboo canes and it struck me – can blight spores survive on the canes? May be a daft question………..

charles

No they cannot, blight can survive only on living plant tissue. So I put all blighted material into my compost heaps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags