Curse of the Cucurbits

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Curse of the Cucurbits

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  devonstew 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

devonstew
    Participant

I’m having a bit of a mare with my cucurbits this season. 

Out of 16 courgettes I’ve only had 4 germinate.

Out of 10 Harlequin squash only 1

Out of 20 cucumber only 5 (and 3 of those have been nailed by mice)

Out 20 Black Futsu only 5

!!

And yet 6 out of 6 Crown Prince.

Don’t understand as germination has been good across other seeds with same compost and conditions. The only thing I can point to is that my compost seems to be retaining water more than usual, leaving the compost wet most of the time…..

I’m not expecting any answers but any thoughts? I’ve got a few more seeds for a last try before I head down to Tuckers and buy some plants, which given the time of year may well be the most sensible thing to do anyway, but anything I haven’t considered??

Yours perplexed

Stew

Daucus

I usually have a nightmare trying to germinate curcurbits, but have had success this year trying a different way of sowing. Try dibbing a seed into damp compost as usual, but then cover it with dry compost and then completely leave it alone somewhere warm and bright. Don’t be tempted to water it even if it looks a bit dry. It means this year I’ve got far too many squashes and cucumbers, but no complaints here! Good luck!

devonstew
    Participant

I’d try anything right now, but that also sounds like a good one

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi stew i have a load of cucurbits for sale near buckfastleigh! If you interested i can mail you a list.. Dan

charles

I sympathise with Stu here after some poor germination myself, especially of squash seeds from Stormy Hall, most disappointing, compared with good germination of melons and reasonable germination of cucumber and my own saved squash. So Stu where did your seed come from or is it a mixture of sources?

devonstew
    Participant

Mainly from Tuckers (as I live 2 mins away!) but also Tamar (Cucumbers)…..

bluebell
    Participant

my sympathies Stew. Previous years I have had no problems but this year have had problems with toms, cucs and squash. I think I am trying too hard as work is different and I think I may have been taking too much care and possibly watering toto much 😮

Stringfellow
    Participant

Stormy hall blue ballet poor germination here, Tuckers Turks Turban good.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

My seeds were from tuckers, chase, plants of distinction, seeds of italy, real seeds, tamar – my germination has been pretty much 100% ! They were sown on a fruit day before full moon and then put on the hotbed which was refilled not long before.. Hmmm

charles

Interesting point Dan and well done, I now wish I had refilled my hotbed which is relatively cool. One final sowing of squash and courgette in on a windowsill indoors for extra warmth.

Rhys
    Participant

I sowed mine too on a fruit day before full moon and my courgette (Defender F1) was quite simply the most vigorous germination of any plant I’ve ever seen. Absolutely astonishing. The second pot was slightly slower but again both seeds germinated happily and I now have 4 pots with 1 plant each in.

The cucumber (Long Green Maraicher from Chase Garden) – sown the same time, same conditions (indoor in 8cm pots), only 1 from 4 seeds has germinated after 21 days.

As it’s my first go with either crop, I”m not judgemental, but it seems that courgettes germinate easier than cucumbers!!

Both germinated indoors at around 20C in a mixture of JI Seed compost + perlite.

devonstew
    Participant

Thanks for the response folks…..always nice to feel you’re not on your own :)

Pete Budd
    Participant

I have found in my experience, 2 main reasons for failure; compost and temperature. Since I started using an electric propagator and “New Horizon general purpose” germination has been almost 100%. Room temperatures prevailing at this time of year (say 16 night and 18-19 day) are just not enough and the moist compost just allows the seeds to rot off. I set my propagator to 20. My propagator holds 30 plastic cups and has been is in constant use through April & May.

devonstew
    Participant

Yes that certainly could be a factor. Thanks Pete

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags