daubenton kale

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables daubenton kale

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ros 10 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ros

I have just received sime daubenton kale seed from the Heritage Seed Library at Garden Organic. I was just wondering whether all those of you who already grow this have found it to be as attractive to pigeons as most brassicas are.

bluebell
    Participant

I find that when they are small they attract and are attacked by caterpillars and pigeons but as they get bigger this is much less of a problem and believe me we have a very healthy population of both pigeons and cabbage white!

charles

As Bluebell says, older plants are more resistant with slightly tougher leaves. Alsp I find them so abundant that some caterpillar damage often happens while leaving enough good leaves to eat.

bluebell
    Participant

I had a closer look at my Daubentons last night as over winter it had collapsed down the stick it was tied to. It has only gone and layered itself in several places.

Will this be detrimental to the overall plant? Should I separate them from the mother plant or leave them as they are?

charles

Some of my Daubentons also has stems lying on the ground, so the plants are spreading, like a takeover, happy. Its up to you if you want them there or not. Sometimes they need reining in!

bluebell
    Participant

ok so I only need to worry about it when it gets too enthusiastic and gets in the way of something else – or we get hardily sick of kale :)

Richard Bambury
    Participant

I got 2 kale plants from Pennard Plants in Somerset
    Looked a bit feeble on arrival but now doing well in old horse manure.
    Dung digging I suppose!

Ros

we

Hello Charles

after you saying that you thought the way to tell Daubentons from Taunton kalewas by stem colour I have had a look at our 6 seedlings from the HSL daubenton’s kale seeds and we have 4 plants with a green stem and 2 with a red/purple stem!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags