Daubentons from seed

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Daubentons from seed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I have allowed part of my daubentons kale to flower and intend to collect the seeds. Has anyone else done this and successfully grown plants?

Ros

I got some seed from the Heritage Seed Library this year.  Those already sown are just at seed leaf stage so cant really comment yet.

charles

if this is really Daubenton’s, which is not reckoned to flower and set seed, hence the lack of true seed and a need to buy or raise plants from stems. 

My kale plants have made little flowers only once, on one of many plants, in August 2102. After checking with Chris Smith of Pennard Plants, I think that it is Taunton kale after all, with purple stems, whereas Daubentons had green stems.

bluebell
    Participant

I have attempted to up load a photo – fingers crossed!

charles

Glad the photo works and the leaves look similar to my Daubentons which I bought from France, I am still intrigued by the flowers, thought it was not supposed to do that.

bluebell
    Participant

This time last year it was a cutting so it is certainly happy in my plot! I was surprised to see it flowering though. Not sure if it will come anything like true from seed as I believe they cross quite easily?

bluebell
    Participant

does kale need to be polinated by another plant? I only ask because I have put protetion over my daubentons flowers to prevent cross polination but know that soem plants need to be polinated by another in order to produce seed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags