Dead plum?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Dead plum?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Leif 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Leif
    Participant

I have a plum tree, probably Avalon on VVA1 root stock, and it is in year 5, having been planted as a two year old bare root tree. Just after it flowered, prolifically too, all the flowers fell away, and the buds turned crispy, and died. The tree is now leafless, but there are strong shoots growing from the base, presumably from the root stock. Around the time it flowered there was a late frost (visible on the lawn), and I watered the lawn with broadleaf weedkiller (Verdone). Does anyone know what has happened to the plum? It is in a 1m wide bed, with lawn either side.

I am assuming that either the weedkiller or the frost killed the buds. In which case does this mean that the tree is still alive, and should bud again next year? It was a lovely tree. Only one plum last year, but vigorous growth, and a lovely goblet shape to the branches. The other plum, 4m away, an Opal, seems quite healthy. Sadly the Avalon plum was gorgeous, the Opal plums are somewhat bland.

charles

Hmmm, this sounds like that dreaded plum disease caused by late pruning, silver leaf, which strikes as rapidly as you describe.
    If so, your tree is sadly deceased. Did you cut any branches in winter?
    However I hope I am wrong!

Leif
    Participant

Hello Charles. Thanks for the feedback. No, I didn’t prune in winter, I was waiting until summer. Oh dear, I hope it is not silverleaf. I have to decide whether to order a replacement bare root tree for planting this winter.

charles

I hope not too but you did the right thing to wait until summer.

Leif
    Participant

Just an update, this evening I broke off a few small branches and found brown wood, so broke off larger ones, again all brown wood. It’s dead, or as good as. Oddly the root stock is sprouting away merrily, with new branches ~50cm long.

Any suggestions for a compact plum? I think it was the Opal that died. The Avalon is a bit bland, quite edible, but bland.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags