Disaster

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

I have been selling bags of mixed salad leaves since last November without a break. I know the weather in June and July has been exceptional but I have just had to cancel a large order for this w/e and I think I may have to cancel all my orders for next week as well. I am devastated. The new plants just aren’t growing… Is fleece really necessary/helpful? I am worried about losing customers AND losing income. Thinking of moving to Spain! K

charles

Kate, wasn’t the weather lovely last November!
    I am close to being in the same position and like you am amazed at the slow growth of new plantings, which normally race away at this time of year, with full light and reasonable warmth. I think some of the problem is continual rain keeping soil cold and relatively airless. No remedy except I have wondered about putting a winter cloche on one bed at least. My young lettuce are covered with fleece but it is not helping a lot. As long as slugs hold off they will grow in the end but meanwhile we lose customers (temporaily I suspect) and income. Apart from some dark, deep freezes in midwinter, I have managed nine years without a break until this!

One bright spot is some nice sweet basil in the tunnel!

kate robinson
    Participant

Yes basil and parsley are great!
    Thought I would plant some small lettuces – which are ready to go out – into the polytunnel. Just have to make some room… This biblical rain is PANTS. K

This year has been a challenge for all of us. Reminds me of 2007 which was previous wettest summer on record and first year I started commercial growing. Salad transition time is always a nervous time. One day there is so much and the next everything is bolting! I prefer to sow second round of lettuce third week of May to overlap slightly just in case of problems, also sow early Endive first week of May and only lightly pick so there are plenty of leaves as backup for the changeover week, next week. All new lettuces under enviromesh and enviromesh ultra fine for Lettuce root aphid experiment ready to pick next week. Sounds like you are doing well despite everything the weather throws at us! Spain would be too hot for Lettuce anyway…
    Robin

kate robinson
    Participant

Thanks for this Robin – I will take note for next year.
    It does help to know it’s not just me – hope my customers understand that. K

sue pogson

Hi – I have a question about keeping leaves fresh when you sell them. Do you just put them in ziploc bags or is there some means of preparation that keeps the leaves fresh for longer? All advice welcome and I hope your own leaf production is improving now.
    Thanks
    S

TracyM
    Participant

Hi, how are things going now? any improvements? I hope your customers understand :0)

Tracy

kate robinson
    Participant

I pick my leaves first thing in the morning when they are full of night moisture and before the sun (!) has been on them. I wash and mix the leaves in large bins and then spin/twirl the crates to remove most of the water. I seal the bags with bag neck tape from a dispenser thing. I then either deliver straight away or put straight in the fridge to deliver next morning. My customers say the salad last for a week. Condensation does form on bags which doesn’t look so good on market stalls but people don’t seem to mind that. K

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi Tracy,
    the leaves are growing again – I stopped picking for two weeks to let the baby plants get properly established again. My customers have been great and are even more enthusiastic to have my salads again having been forced back to supermarket varieties!! What a dramatic change in weather and temperature from last Wednesday… Quite a shock to us and plants! Thanks for concern! K

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags