discovers ants in new bed just before i had time to mulch up.

Community Community Garden Problems Pests discovers ants in new bed just before i had time to mulch up.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Suella 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

michael Harrison
    Participant

Hi All, hope use are keeping well and enjoying your gardens.
    iam looking for some advice, ive just started to hear about no dig gardens, and thought i would have a try, put my plants in did not have time too mulch up so when i went back i discovered ants in the bed, so not thinking put ant powder down. have i nacked that bed now???? or can i go ahead and mulch??

regards michael.

charles

It depends how many ants, a few is ok but ant-prone soil is difficult for summer crops.
    Try a few plantings to see and work on mulching the rest of your ground.

michael Harrison
    Participant

hi charles, thanks for the info that bed is mulch now. iam thinking about my main plot now, i have pots and onions in there at the moment, after ive have pulled pots and onions, i wag going to mulch up and plant some winter veg or should i mulch it and let it sit until next season?

regads michael.

michael Harrison
    Participant

hi charles, thanks for the info that bed is mulch now. iam thinking about my main plot now, i have pots and onions in there at the moment, after ive have pulled pots and onions, i wag going to mulch up and plant some winter veg or should i mulch it and let it sit until next season?

regads michael.

charles

I am not sure where this waiting idea comes from as it’s in another question too.
    So, plant winter veg as soon as your potatoes and onions are finished, the same day is good.Soil with plants in, during the growing season, is healthier, though it’s not always possible especially in spring as one waits to plant warmth-loving plants.
    In summer, no need to wait and every day counts as light and warmth lessen.

michael Harrison
    Participant

Hi again Charles, thanks for your help, ive just received my book today.(How to create a new veggy garden). so iam reading though in tonight.

regards michael.

tadams
    Participant

We have an ant problem on our allotments – I wonder if they are particularly partial to a silty or alkaline soil? Does anyone know? One of my allotment neighbours has found that if you disturb the soil a few times they move on.

I’ve tried it myself in the greenhouse and another patch outside and, so far, so good. Some plant roots will withstand the acid that ants release but I have found that cucurbits, potatoes and French beans are damaged quickly.

charles

Wow I hate the thought that disturbing soil is a good way to be rid of ants!
    I agree that their acid secretions damage many plants. My main antidote is watering, but that only keeps them in check.

Suella
    Participant

ants in my greenhouse completely destroyed the roots of one lettuce adjacent to where I was about to plant tomatoes. Sadly I felt I had to forfeit my organic credentials and use what appears to be talcum powder. It did seem to work immediately.

charles

I don’t understand ants. Their secretion killed a basil and tomato plant in my greenhouse in May. I had under-watered and the soil was dry.
    After giving the area a good soak, I planted another tomato, and it’s cropping well, with no sign of stress. So the ants are on the back foot for now, but I am not counting my chickes. They always reappear in the same places..

Suella
    Participant

I’ll stick to watering in the future. Glad to hear that it seems to have worked for you. It sounds like too dry soil may give them a chance to get their nests in place.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags